Grads: Scholarships and more!
As HMC teens look forward to high-school graduation, they should know that their parish recognizes and supports them in the following ways:
- HMC Parish Service Award: For graduating seniors who serve our parish--and its various outreach ministries--throughout their entire high-school career. Presented each year at the annual Cap & Gown Mass--and whenever circumstances allow, also at OHS Awards Night (if you're a student attending a different school, please contact Mary Lynn). DEADLINE: May 1st each year. DOWNLOAD FORM: HMC Parish Service Award (or find a paper version on the rack outside of the Youth Ministry office). Questions: Mary Lynn Hendrickson, HMC youth minister.
- Music Ministry Scholarship: For graduating seniors involved in parish music ministry. Please see Larry Thelen, HMC's director of Music & Liturgy, for information and qualifications, as well as an application form. Typically due May 1st. Presented each year at the annual Cap & Gown Mass.
- NEW! Knights of Columbus Scholarships: For 2014 grads there are now two KC-sponsored scholarships instead of one...
- The "Father Bill O'Connell Scholarship," sponsored by HMC's Knights of Columbus and presented at our annual Cap & Gown Mass
- The "Alfred Russell Family Scholarship," a memorial scholarship sponsored by the family of longtime KC member and former HMC Grand Knight Al Russell. Also awarded at the annual Cap & Gown Mass.
There is ONE APPLICATION for both KC awards. DEADLINE: Second Saturday of May (please note that this scholarship must be MAILED), May 10th for 2014. This year's scholarship instructions are HERE. This year's downloadable application application form is here as: Word document OR PDF form.
HMC's Annual Cap & Gown Mass: Held each spring on the morning of graduation for Oregon High School. Always a part of the 8:00am Mass that morning--since the 10:15 Mass is too late in the day and on Saturday night people are busy going to grad parties. Graduating seniors should RSVP with Mary Lynn up to a week ahead of time; grads wear their caps and gowns, walk in with Fr. Gary at the start of Mass, and sit together toward the front of the church. A light breakfast reception follows the Mass.
Scholarship for CURRENT HMC JUNIORS: Each spring Catholic Charities of Madison solicits applications for its annual Faith In Action awards, a diocesan-wide scholarship presented to high-school seniors in November each year. Deadline: April 1st to HMC's youth minister, Mary Lynn Hendrickson (who then forwards the application to the diocesan level). Forms available: outside the HMC Youth Ministry office, downstairs - also online application from the Catholic Charities' website.