Overview: Spiritual Enrichment & Faith Formation for Adults
One never stops deepening their understanding of faith. Faith Formation is ongoing at Holy Mother of Consolation. Adults are provided with a variety of opportunities such as Bible studies, book studies, discussion and faith sharing groups, special presentations, and periodic parish missions. Catholic publications found in the magazine racks located in the front entranceway and near the library are available for people to take home. There are four-page leaflets entitled Exploring (reflections on the Sunday readings), Catholic Update (in depth articles on pertinent topics) and Every Day Catholic (brief articles on a theme) that also may be taken home. The Adult Faith Formation Commission is interested in new members and new ideas to enhance faith formation opportunities for Holy Mother of Consolation parishioners. Contact Mary Lynn Hendrickson for information, suggestions, or to volunteer: at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-835-5763 ext. 110
Among our regular, year-round programming:
- FORMED: the free online Catholic-content streaming service (also known as the "Catholic Netflix") that parishioners can access at home, or on their smartphone, by registering through HMC—with fascinating far-ranging content on everything from improving your marriage to enriching your prayer life to understanding the Catholic Church's perspective on a huge range of contemporary social issues. CLICK HERE to register and/or learn more!
- SEASONAL PRAYER & STUDY: Grown in your relationship to God, in your understanding of Christian and Catholic faith, and fellowship with your fellow believers by signing up for one of many opportunities to pray and study together with other parishioners during the time of Advent (the four weeks ahead of Christmas) and Lent (the six weeks ahead of Easter). A rich and rewarding way to enhance your experience of these sacred times that are the cornerstone of Christian belief!
- SPECIAL PARISH GROUPS & EVENTS: Many small groups continue to meet at the parish, weekly or monthly, around a shared interest in prayer and study. Some groups are at capacity, some actively welcome new members (like the Wednesday-night Men's Group), and many times there's ample opportunity for new groups to form—just ask! Once a year there is also the opportunity for two separate weekend retreats, hosted as part of a longtime partnership between Holy Mother and St. Ann's in Stoughton: Christian Experience Weekend (CEW), with both a Women's CEW and a Men's CEW happening early in the calendar year. See this link for more CEW information.
- DIOCESAN OPPORTUNITIES FOR FAITH ENRICHMENT: How lucky we are to be just a few miles from diocesan headquarters, in Madison! There are constantly special classes and speakers that are being offered to help Catholic adults to grow in their faith. Some of this programming is offered at Holy Name Heights (formerly the Bishop O'Connor Catholic Center) but all too frequently, these wonderful sessions—open to the public, at either no or a low cost—are hosted at nearby parishes and sometimes even by Holy Mother of Consolation! Stay abreast of these opportunities by visiting the diocesan website for information from the Office of Evangelization and Catechesis as well as the office for Marriage & Family.
- RCIA: the program and process by which an adult who belongs to a different (or to no) faith tradition officially "becomes Catholic." Also, for baptized adult Catholics who may have missed important childhood/teen "Sacraments of Initiation" such as their First Communion or Confirmation. Depending on the individual and how much they need to learn about the church, this process can take a few months or more than a year. Please contact Mary Lynn for details. Also: Click on Sacraments tab and see "Baptism" - also information is provided in the drop down "Initiation into the Catholic Faith" tab under Sacraments.