Grads: Scholarships and more!
As HMC teens look forward to high-school graduation, they should know that their parish recognizes and supports them in the following ways:
- HMC Parish Service Award: For graduating seniors who serve our parish--and its various outreach ministries--throughout their entire high-school career. Presented each year at the annual Cap & Gown Mass. DEADLINE: May 1st each year. DOWNLOAD FORM: HMC Parish Service Award (or find a paper version on the rack outside of the Youth Ministry office). Questions: Becky Phillips, HMC youth minister.
- Music Ministry Scholarship: For graduating seniors involved in parish music ministry. Please see Larry Thelen, HMC's director of Music & Liturgy, for information and qualifications, as well as an application form. Typically due May 1st. Presented each year at the annual Cap & Gown Mass.
- Knights of Columbus Scholarships:
- The "Father Bill O'Connell Scholarship," sponsored by HMC's Knights of Columbus and presented at our annual Cap & Gown Mass
- The "Alfred Russell Family Scholarship," a memorial scholarship sponsored by the family of longtime KC member and former HMC Grand Knight Al Russell. Also awarded at the annual Cap & Gown Mass.
There is ONE APPLICATION for both KC awards. DEADLINE: Second Saturday of May. This year's scholarship instructions are HERE. This year's downloadable application application form is here: PDF form.
HMC's Annual Cap & Gown Mass: Held each spring on the morning of graduation for Oregon High School. Always a part of the 8:00am Mass that morning--since the 10:15 Mass is too late in the day and on Saturday night people are busy going to grad parties. Graduating seniors should RSVP with Becky Phillips up to a week ahead of time; grads wear their caps and gowns, walk in with Fr. Gary at the start of Mass, and sit together toward the front of the church. A light breakfast reception follows the Mass.
Scholarship for CURRENT HMC JUNIORS: Each spring Catholic Charities of Madison solicits applications for its annual Faith In Action awards, a diocesan-wide scholarship presented to high-school seniors in November each year. Deadline: April 1st to HMC's youth minister, Becky Phillips (who then forwards the application to the diocesan level). Forms available: outside the HMC Youth Ministry office, downstairs.